Friday, September 11

Let Us Never Forget



I'm feeling so many emotions today.  I was looking back, trying to find some pictures that we took while we were in NYC on that horrific day.  In some ways, it feels like it was just yesterday when I look at the photos.  The fear and anxiety has subsided, but the sadness for the lost lives is still very near.  What also remains is gratitude for all those who selflessly helped in that time of need and for all those who continue to serve our great country and keep us free.   It is a debt that we can never repay.  I would just like to add my sincere thanks to those that are remembering this day and those who have given their lives or loved ones on behalf of our country.  May we never forget.

We happened to be in NYC on September 11, 2001.  Scott was working that beautiful, clear, fall morning near Times Square.  I was staying with our friends, Sam and Sara, in Astoria, Queens and I about to venture out to the WTC to buy some discount show tickets when our friend, Sam called me to tell me to stay put and turn on the news.  I turned on the news just in time to see the second plane hit the second tower.  After that, shock turned into horror and that day began that would turn out to be among the longest and darkest for so many.

I could not reach Scott because all the phone lines were jammed.  I was pretty sure he was okay, because he was far from the WTC, but I really wanted to hear his voice.  Luckily, we had both thought to call my mom and she was able to relay messages to us from each other.  Scott was fine and he was going to meet up with Sam and Sara and walk home.  I stayed put, anxious and scared.  I watched the horrible footage and fielded phone calls from worried friends and family.  I could hear the jets outside and could already see the smoke in the sky.

Here are some pictures Scott took on his walk home on the 59th Street Bridge.
Thankfully, after a several hours, Scott, Sam, Sara, and Sam's boss arrived home safely.  We talked, cried, answered phone calls and ordered pizza.  It was a day that went on and on.  That night we walked around Astoria in disbelief.  It was such a beautiful day.  The air temperature was perfect, but one glance toward the WTC told us that it was no ordinary day.  It was so quiet other than the occasional jet zooming overhead.  We ate dinner in a local diner.  The news coverage was blaring in the corner. 

We were so worried about our new sister-in-law, Rebecca who was a flight attendant for American Airlines based out of Boston.  I knew she was on a trip, but I couldn't remember which flight.  We were so happy when we heard that she was stranded in Texas and safe.  Sadly, she knew a number of the flight attendants on the Boston flight.

That night we had reservations at a hotel in Times Square, but we didn't want to go into the city.  The city was closed and we wanted to be with friends. There were many rumors of bomb threats.  There was just a feeling of panic.

The next morning, Scott went into work and the rest of us decided we all had to get out of the house.  We walked to a local track and walked a bit.  On the way, we stopped at a hospital and put our name on a blood donation list.  There seemed like so little we could do...What struck me most were the posters and pictures of missing people all over the neighborhood.  I will never forget that.

Scott only worked half day and then came and got me and we went into the city.  We were probably a little crazy for continuing with our plans, but I'm glad we did.  That night, we took a subway as far south as we could and walked the rest of the way to a restaurant in Greenwich Village.  We had reservations for the night before.  (We were going to celebreate our anniversary on the 11th instead of the 10th because Scott had gotten tickets to the Yankee's game on the 10th.  We never actually saw the game because it was rained out.  We were the couple huddled together in the pouring rain in ponchos for two hours with nobody else around except for the half naked drunk guy.  I tell Scott that's what he gets for taking me to a baseball game on our anniversary combined with the curse of the Yankees.)

The neighborhood south of 14th Street was closed to traffic so it was eerily quiet.  The streets were empty of the typical traffic and even parked cars were few.  People were quietly walking, riding bikes, skateboarding, roller blading and planning midnight vigils.  The missing persons posters were sobering.  I think we all felt like we wanted to be out and with each other.  The people we encountered were extremely friendly.  We all looked each other in the eye and asked each other how we were doing.  I felt true concern, unity and compassion from everyone.

The next day, we got as close to the WTC as we could.  It still seemed so unreal.  How could the towers be gone?  How many people had lost their lives?  The estimations were staggering.  There were false reports of survivors.  How could this have happened here in our country?  More haunting details were coming out.  We walked around in awe and disbelief.


The next week we had planed to go to Boston and stay with my brother, Steven.  We spent the week visiting the many historical sites.  What a meaningful and poignant time to learn about and appreciate our country's many patriots.  We had such an intense appreciation for our country and its founders throughout this week.  The city was plastered with American flags and signs that read, "God Bless America" and "United We Stand."


I hope we always remember the feelings we felt that day.  Let's remember the gratitude we had for our friends, families, lives, and the heros who gave so much.  Let's always remember the compassion and unity we felt.

5 comments:

Danika said...

I never knew you & Scott were in NYC on 9/11! How did I miss that???

Your post brought tears to my eyes...I cannot even imagine being there. It was hard enough to watch on the news. I thought about writing something on my blog about the anniversary today, but wasn't sure what to write. I hope you don't mind me linking to this post from my blog. You expressed some of my thoughts & feelings so poignantly & perfectly and they are even more meaningful coming from someone who was there.

JBSquared said...

Wow - I had no idea you guys were there that day! What an amazing blessing you didn't head out for those tickets earlier. And what a reminder to all of us to appreciate the relative freedom and safety that we have, and especially our friends and loved ones we often take for granted. Thanks for sharing that with all of us!

julie said...

Thanks, it's taken me 8 years to write about this day because I never felt like I write well enough to do it justice. I was inspired by my friend Sara who we were with. She wrote about it two years ago and reposted it on her blog. She did a MUCH better job than me, but I thought I better do SOMETHING! And, then with this whole blogging thing and trying to document some personal history, I finally did it.

Steve and Rebecca said...

Wow!! I had forgotten some many details of your trip!! A lot I think I never knew. Those pictures Scott took are priceless too. That is crazy. It's so good to write down your feelings and memories...even when I go back in my journal and re-read, I often think...I am so glad I have this down for my kids and future grandkids, if no one else.

Michelle said...

I remember that day well...first dealing with the events of the day and then realizing that you were both in NYC! I was so frantic and worried about you and extremely grateful that you finally called to let me know you were fine. I love hearing your thoughts of the day.