Thursday, October 2

I Hate Boston


Oct 1: It as supposed to be a happy and exciting night.  The best record in baseball, home field advantage, and a beautiful warm night.  We were facing the Red Sox with the chance to excise 20 years of post-season demons versus these guys.  It was looking good.

Then on the way to the Angel Stadium, we got caught in a massive traffic jam.  Very southern California.  The off-ramp off the 5 was gridlocked.  We waited on the off-ramp for an hour.  By the time, we got on the street the game was starting.  We didn't get to our seats until the second inning.  I was ticked off.  I hate being viewed as one of those fans.  

The good thing was that we missed none of the action.  Big john Lackey was dealing them scoreless and soon we had an the lead 1-0.  As expected, that was not the end.  Jason Bay figured out his early struggles and deposited one beyond the outfield walls.  Down 2-1 and the game continued on.  

Entering the eighth inning, I knew we would not lose 2-1.  The game was in still undecided and the bad guys finally took Lester out.  Here was our chance.  Vladdy got on and then Tori hit a blooper.  First and second with only 1 out, the Monkey going crazy.  WHAT?!?!? Where is Vladdy going???? NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!  Tagged out a third?  What happened.  Two out and we were crushed.  The moment slipped away by that critical gaffe.

Maybe our bullpen can hold them and we can make a run at Papelbon in the 9th?  Denied, we give up two more runs and all we can manage in the 9th is a single.

Then to top it all off, 2 more traffic jams on the way home.  One due to a terrible line leaving the parking structure and one due to our good friend Cal Trans closing the 405 for construction.  Sour loss and we get to bed very late on a school night.  Sometimes I wonder if being a fan is worth it. 
(Of course it is!)

5 comments:

Renee said...

Sounds like fun!!! and great commentary......I feel like I was there, traffic and all!!!! Oh, by the way, my blog is back open!!

Brian and Lindsay Holmstrom said...

I miss the Angels and going to those games. Even though they lost I am sure it was good times. By the way, as a side note, now that you have a blog you need to stay on top of your postings! haha I check it all the time!

Steve and Rebecca said...

Go Red Sox!!

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

ahhh, I love Figgins...he's my favorite player. Not that I follow sports, I just like to say his name, FIGGINS!!!!!

Tiffany said...

Ugh...did they get lots of touch downs??