Tuesday, August 25

Lego My Lego!

















If you come to my house unannounced, this is what you will see.  This is what my living room floor has looked like everyday since Ben received his first Star Wars Legos for his 5th birthday last year.  Walking and vacuuming has never been the same!


It's wonderful because he gets himself up every morning...I can always tell when due to the loud dumping of the entire lego box...and he can keep himself busy until we all manage to get out of bed.


But, it's NOT wonderful, because these little things are EVERYWHERE!  My little Joshie loves the little body parts the most and is very creative in stashing his goods.  I have found Lego bodies under unfinshed door frames, in little holes in church play equipment, and in jean pockets.  One day, I was cleaning our kitchen cabinets.  We have one with a hole in the facing and upon closer inspection, I noticed Princess Leia's hair and various other tiny Legos INSIDE the cabinet door...all requiring surgical extraction.


I should be the mom that says, "You leave it out...it's gone.  If I vacuum it up, too bad, so sad!"  But, then along came this...the X wing fighter.  Thank you, Santa!  I know the frustration of building this monstracity and not having the pieces.  I have acutally picked through vacuum nastiness to save LEGOS!  The only thing I might pick out on my behalf are diamonds or rubies!  The things we do for our kids!


However, I must admit, I am a nerd and I really enjoy putting these things together.  I especially love it when I'm left alone and I do not have to search for all the pieces.



Luckily, freestyle building is where it's at.  Ben builds a few ships like this everyday and loves playing with his Star Wars guys.  His favorite Lego is his R2D2.  He builds ships for every member in our family.  One day, Joshie was crying and in an attempt to make his little brother feel better, he asked, "Joshie, do you want me to build you a ship?"  To which, Joshie replied a tearful, "Yes!" And, all was good.


















One day after Disneyland, I decided to take the boys to the Lego Store.  Oh, Heaven! Thy name is LEGO.  There was something for everyone.  Joshie was just amazed at the little bins chock full of body parts!  Heads, glorious heads!











There was a "Darth Vadie" for Joshie and a R2D2 for Ben! They even moved and had sound effects. I was a bit scared by the Darth Varder myself. Awesome! Did I mention my kids are OBSESSED with Star Wars?
This is also where Ben fell in love with the Death Star.  Look at the desire in those eyes!  For those of you who might not know, the Death Star is Darth Vader's ship and it only costs a mere FOUR HUNDRED dollars!  It is a sad day in parenthood when your child's wishes for a present from Santa exceed reality.  I really thought this might happen for my teenage children, NOT my FIVE year old!  Well, it's good to have big dreams.  
Good luck with that, kiddo!
As a mother of three boys, I am resigned to my fate.  I am just more careful about my walking and vacuuming.  I am learning to love the hours of fun and creativity of those millions of darn little pieces inspire.  May the force be with me.

5 comments:

Danika said...

I'm so excited to see you blogging more! ;)

We have a love/hate relationship with Legos over here too. Love the hours of entertainment and creativity...hate the cleanup and small pieces everywhere. You are a better mom than me - I would never pick through the vacuum for a piece.

My boys love the Lego store here (it's at our nearby mall right next to the play area, convenient, eh?). They could spend hours in there. But ours doesn't sound as cool as yours with the darth vader and R2D2.

You really need to take those boys down to Legoland - they will think they've died and gone to heaven! Just make sure Joshie is at least 42" before you go or else he won't be able to ride all the rides - they are total sticklers for height limits.

JBSquared said...

Ohhh, the Lego store. John drools when we go there. We have not tried taking the boys there yet. But I see your pics as a glimpse of my future.

We HAVE, however, introduced our boys to Star Wars and, as expected, is was a big hit. I'm thinkin' Star Wars birthday this year. Hopefully we don't get too many legos. :)

YY said...

Heck yes! It's all about the legos. The first time I went to the Lego store at downtown Disney I was star struck. Seriously, I am such a nerd too, cuz I was like "ooh! Darth vader! And r2!!". Daniel and I always say that we should have kids just to have an excuse to buy legos and not to mention tranformers, haha they are really cool too.

I second that one.... You need to take these guys to Legoland. Daniel and I had a blast there. You can make your own Lego robots and program them!!

Boy, I married into such a cool family. : )

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Yeah! Look at all that blogging you've done! We're loving it!

Carrie said...

So glad you are blogging! It will be great to keep in touch & your baby is getting so big! Good luck to Ben starting Kinder & we'll probably see more of you guys at Balearic in a year with Ty.